Friday, 14 January 2011

Toilets, boxes and dollies

Harlan went to his childminder today, as he normally does on a friday, but today was different. Today he didn't wear a nappy, he wore pants. As such, I packed his bag full of spare pants, trousers, tops and even socks.

As it turned out, all he need was one spare pair of pants and trousers, because after a small accident first thing in the morning, he stayed dry all day. Once he came home, the things I'd put out for him to play with proved too exciting, however, and he had a couple of accidents. "Nevermind" he says, so at least he's not getting a complex about it! I found some stickers I bought a while ago, so he's now having a sticker when he does a wee on the potty or toilet, and so far he's got two shiny stickers to put on his trike.

I got a new book today, arrived in the post from Amazon. It's called The Toddler's Busy Book and as well as having lots of ideas for simple things to do with your toddler, it also has some amusing and poignant quotes in it. One that made me laugh was the mother's prayer:

Dear Lord,
        So far today I've done alright. I haven't gossiped, I haven't lost my temper, I haven't been greedy, grumpy, selfish or very indulgent. I'm very grateful for that. But in a few minutes, lord, I'm going to get out of bed, and from then on, I'm going to need a lot more help. Amen.

It made me smile because, no matter how good our intentions are, some days we are grumpy and selfish, and you know what? That's ok. As long as you are usually the parent you want to be, and your children know they are loved, then surely everyone is allowed a bad day. I darn well hope so, anyway!

When Harlan came home from his childminder, I'd made a bed for his dolly, just a simple one made from a cardboard box and a terry towel as a blanket. When Harlan saw it, he decided he wanted a big box for himself, so I put some cushions and his 'special cover' (a blanket I embroidered for him when he was younger) in a large box and he had great fun settling dolly and himself off to sleep - complete with fake snoring!

No comments:

Post a Comment